Unity 3.0 New Effects Preview – Pretty.

unityMani, head honcho over at InfiniteUnity3D, shared a video he found showcasing some new features for Unity 3.0.


My thoughts are this: Oh, that’s pretty. Really. The new deferred shading in Unity 3.0 has, I assume, allowed for the new effects you’ll see after the jump to IU3D.


If you are reading this and confused, Unity is a game engine. An easy to use game engine designed for rapid development of prototypes and full scale browser, pc, and mobile games. It has been expanded and is about to be on consoles.


My question to the Unity developers is this (and I will eventually get around to asking or seeing if it has been asked, but if anyone knows and sees this, let me know):


Are you still going to deny real time shadows to the Unity basic license? The more I think about it, the less I like your engine. I am pretty sure you have a large enough userbase at this point to delimit the free version and offer support and things of that nature to the paid version owners.


$1500 is a lot of money to ask, really.Especially when I would much prefer to share profits than buy a license. Food for your thought, I’m not pirating the program, and I’m not paying you 1500 US dollars for a game engine when Unreal 3 is comparatively Free.


If you won’t change the model, you should at least make Unity 3 paid, and the current Unity Pro your free version. I would love to share profits on games made with the free version of your software. I have a very hard time even wanting to use it or hire some people to script me some things because of the lack of real time shadows.


It makes me much, much less likely to buy it if ever I was able to just blast 1500 dollars out there like that – because I don’t know how it runs, and I’m never going to try the “30 day full trial” – not when I know Unity itself if free, and when I know, I can’t do anything with whatever the trial shows me anyway.


Change your license, alternate your business model around just a little bit – I really think you should delimit the free version, and just make us pay you royalties on all games made with indie, because this opinion pretty much is the same across the board in the discussions I have had about it with others who share the drive, but find the offering to the average starter rather lacking compared to other, better, ways Unity could be leveraging itself.


Sorry if that pisses off Brett Seyler, I mean no disrespect, and sorry if Unity team is already planning offering more to the base Unity license (as well as thank you) (and also… Finally. :P). For now, I will blame EA.

source:here